Monday, March 15, 2010

Precious

This past weekend Keith and I had been out running errands when we decided to stop at Rogers to rent a movie. It had been a long time since we had seen a movie and thought hey it would fit our budget..wouldn't matter if BABY decided to come, we could pause it, plus I could watch it in jammies.. not a feat usually done in the theaters hehehehe.

It took forever to find a movie that wasn't R rated let me tell you :( How sad is that? But I finally came across the movie PRECIOUS. I wasn't all that familiar about the movie other then Oprah had given it a solid 2 thumbs up and that it had won several Academy Awards. So we popped the corn, got into our jammies, curled up on the couch together and hit PLAY. Well I have to be honest.. we never made it 5 minutes into the movie before we were trying to find the stop button on the remote control.

I don't think I have ever heard such foul language coming out of a young persons mouth in my life. I realize that it was a movie and as such they were "lines" just like any other lines.. but seriously I so wanted to wash her mouth out with soap as well as my ears and not necessarily in that order. Needless to say Rogers got an earful when the movie was returned as to why it only had a "14" as the rating. Are you kidding me? Are you saying that it is ok to have that kind of language for young teens? And what was up with Oprah endorsing a movie like that? I understand the storyline touched her ( I did eventually read up on what the movie was about) but there was no way you could NOT have done the same story line without the language. Either that or change the rating to give people the option of not being stuck on a Saturday night with popcorn ready and no movie!!

1 comments:

Kim Siever said...

Choosing a movie based on ratings is pointless. There are plenty of websites that will list any offending content for each movie. Choosing movies based on its content rather than its rating is much more productive.

Also, it’s pointless to get upset with Rogers; they don’t set the ratings.