Saturday, March 27, 2010

Gardening ~ it must be spring :)

What a long exhausting day!! When we lived in Vancouver we had a community garden plot. I think I have mentioned this previously. Anyway it has taken me a couple of years to find another one in Surrey. There was actually 4 of them. Two had at least a 3 year wait list and we applied to the other 2. One is walking distance to our house but the plot is only 5' X 10". The other one is an organic one and is 16'X16'. Today we found out we got the 2nd one as well WOOOHOOO!

As it turned out both gardens had their orientation where we were assigned our plot numbers and given all the do's and don'ts. We also nominated/volunteered to be part of the committee etc. The smaller one is brand new, they are actually still building frames for our plots so we can't do anything with that one. The large one we got to choose our own plot (by first applied first pick)and as we were there early..I had the one I had wanted. We were seventh on the pick list and as each of the first 6 gave their numbers I would cheer that it wasn't ours!! But I wouldn't tell them which one I wanted to jinx it lol.

I have no idea why no one wanted it! When it was our turn I yelled out 55!!! When we went back after we were all done I was so happy. I guess people just thought it was overrun with weeds and old plants but what they did not realize was all mixed in with the old plants were nice clumps of rosemary, sage, lavender, parsley, cilantro, oregano, winter onions, turnips, several strawberry plants, peppermint and rhubarb!! And right next to our plot was a huge evergreen tree with a picnic table as well as a nice park bench to use :) How perfect is my life going to be!!

Will take pictures next time we go over so you can see our wonderful garden and know why I am so thrilled!

0 comments: