Sunday, January 17, 2010

Lots of Bread

I was looking through my recipe folder on the weekend looking for a cottage cheese roll recipe that I love and came across one that I have not used in about 20 years. This was made each and every week when our children lived at home and I thought someone out there might find it came in handy :) I would be interested in hearing how you like it.

15 Loaf Bread Recipe:
3TBSP yeast
1 C Water
2 TBSP Sugar
Dissolve in water

3 QTS warm water (sorry I did tell you it was an old recipe lol you might have to look for old measuring utensils if all your things are in metric)
3/4 c sugar
3 TBSP salt
3/4 c. shortening
40 cups flour

Start mixing. I would add 1/4 of flour at a time, get that mixed well then add the next 1/4 which made it a lot easier on my arms and shoulders. It also guaranteed everything got mixed in properly. Grease bowl or roaster (Get an actual bread bowl or baby's bathtub or something huge as it will be a BIG batch when rising) turn dough over so greasedl side is up. Cover with damp towel and place in oven with oven light on.
Let rise for about 1 1/2 hours. How you tell if the bread has doubled enough put 2 fingers in the top about a couple of inches. If the holes remain it has risen perfectly. If the holes collapsed it is not ready yet.

Form into loaves. Let rise about 45-60 minutes. Make sure you do not have any drafts in the house. Cover with cloths to keep moist.

Bake at 375 for about 35-40 minutes depending on your oven. Brush with butter. Assume your family will be like mine and will devour 2 loaves the second it comes out of the oven. Trust me they can move pretty fast even with very hot bread!!!

ENJOY!!

0 comments: