Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Wednesday Letters

Now anyone that knows me knows I am always reading. If it has 2 covers and pages in between I am reading it. At times where I have gone for a long bath telling myself I am just going to sit and close my eyes to relax I end up reading the backs of shampoo bottles and other paraphernalia hanging around arm's reach of the tub I can't stop reading. So when I heard about this particular book and how it sold hundreds of thousands of copies in the first day it hit the shelves I needed it. I picked it up when we were in Alberta for Christmas and read it in one sitting.

Other then the Book of Mormon, I have never LOVED a book like I have this one.It is truly amazing! It makes you cry it makes you laugh it makes you want to throttle people but mostly it makes you believe in forgiveness and why the Lord gave us that capability. It made me think of the petty things we get upset about that really in the grand scheme of things doesn't really matter. It made me think of grudges that people hold against others over such small things again in the grand scheme of things doesn't really matter, and it especially made me think of a love so powerful between a husband and a wife.

It made me think of Keith and I and our love and how powerful it is. How it has held us together through thick and think, good and bad, in sickness and in health, in richness and poorness, well ok we are still waiting for the richness part, and it made me think of the sacrifices we have made for each other. I think of how he has taken care of me over the last few years with my health deterioration and now with this latest settling over our heads like a big old dark cloud. I think of all the nights after nights that he wakes up to massage my aching muscles that won't stop cramping, the times he has gotten up in the middle of the night to get dressed to go outside at 3 am to go walking with me because of restless legs; it made me think of how hard he works but will drop it all in a second to come home because I called to say I needed him.

This book touched me so much that I have started my own Wednesday letters except I call them my Friday letters. Every Friday since I read the book I slip a letter in his briefcase. He never tells me he read them but I know he looks for them. Yesterday I was up really late and had to be up very early to go for my MRI. He was going to drop me off on his way to work as it was in Vancouver. I was getting my shoes and I noticed he was rummaging through his briefcase. I asked him if he was looking for something and he just had a funny look and said oh no. I smiled inside and knew he had been looking for his letter. But I had faxed it to his work before he had gotten up so it would be waiting for him when he got there as a surprise.

I think every couple should have their own Wednesday Letters. I think every person should read this book. You can get it at Amazon.com or Deseretbooks.com or at any local bookstore. You can also borrow it from Sally's personal library if you live close enough to read it but first come first serve. I do not mind lending it out as long as I get it back.

If you want the link to the book it self it is:

http://www.thewednesdayletters.com/main.php

Have a great day and keep on writing!

1 comments:

Jason Wright said...

Hi Sally! I am flattered by your fabulous review of The Wednesday Letters. You really made my day. I hope folks will take your advice and start their own weekly tradition. Think of the good a simple letter can do! Take care - Jason