Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Life's lessons learnt

We just got back from a week's vacation in Hawaii and I realized I learnt a few of life's lessons while there so thought I would share them with you :)

~I did not die while not watching one or more of my regularly watched TV series while on vacation

~Some of my grandchildren are more mature then some of my children

~You can not please all of the people all of the time, in fact at times you can't even please some of the people any of the time

~The things that I thought would really thrill all of my children did not but the things I thought would just be so so thrilled MOST of my children.. go figure

~You cannot sleep in on vacation

~There is no life in the fast lane in Laie Hawaii. Nobody honks at you as they speed past your car, no one swears at you or gives you the one finger wave as you slow down to look at something, other drivers will actually slow down to let you in their lane when you turn your signals on and then will smile and wave at you rather then speed up to stop you from going in front of them

~grandchildren will not wither away without playing video/computer games all week and adult children will not collapse without their WOW or Everquest for one week

~people still have to go to the bathroom just as soon as dishes have to be done

~I never thought I would need a time out on vacation

~5 year olds make great sleeping buddies

~where else can you pop down to the beach at 6am in your jammies to watch the sunrise

~small wonderful things amuse small wonderful minds like "Nana watch... my footprints keep disappearing every time the wave comes in"

~family members' best behaviors in a couple hour visit at home becomes more difficult to maintain in a 24/7 situation with 12 people hanging around.

~family vacation is not a true vacation with half the family missing

~my mind and body could not enjoy themselves when my heart and soul was at home

~I love LOVE rain shower heads!!!

~I am too old to fly the red eye

~I have too many health issues to travel a 6 hour flight and a 4 1/2 hour train ride and a 1 hour car ride at the beginning and end of it all in a row.

~there are actual places that don't have stores open 24/7 so you actually have to plan your shopping instead of just popping to a store at 9pm to get milk

~there are actual towns that all the businesses are closed on Sundays YEAAAAA

~Never get in a car with a driver who does not have a proper map, does not have an address of a place they are going to AND that has back seat drivers!

~I would never drive 20 minutes one way to get Starbucks every day:) Sorry Jen hehehe

~As much as I loved Hawaii and sharing it with my family I now have more empathy for Dorothy as I clicked my heels together 3 times saying "There's no place like home there's no place like home there's no place like home" and voila I am home. Home is definitely where the heart is and my heart is here.

0 comments: