Saturday, December 11, 2010

UNpolitically INcorrect

In a world that seems not only to be changing, but even to be dissolving, there are some tens of millions of us who want Christmas to be the same it used to be, with the same old greeting "Merry Christmas" and no other. We long for the abiding love among men of good will which the season brings believing in this ancient miracle of Christmas with its softening sweetening influence to tug at our heart strings once again.

We want to hold on to the old customs and traditions because they strengthen our family ties, bind us to our friends, make us one with all mankind for whom the Child was born and bring us back again to the God who gave His only begotten Son that "whosoever beleiveth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life".

So I will not "spend" Christmas nor "observe" Christmas. I will "keep" Christmas - keep it as it is, in all the loveliness of its ancient traditions that has made me who I am...I see in me my mother, my grandmothers and their mothers before them as I make my tourtieres, my buche de Noel, my tire a neige, sewing the new pyjamas for the first night, put a lit candle in my living room window for those who will never be with us again in this life so they know I haven't forgotten them. I will keep telling my children and grandchildren that yes there really is a Santa Claus and that in this house there will always be cookies and milk laid out for him and carrots for his reindeer. I will continue to keep Christmas in this family, and when I hear a 6 year old granddaughter tell me (as in the other day) to not forget to get a present for Jesus' birthday when I am out shopping I know that I am doing a good thing in balancing the traditions in our lives.

So if you want to be politically correct you go right ahead...but as for me and my house???? We will continue to keep Christmas and to believe.

May you keep it in YOUR heart so that we may be kept in it's hope.

0 comments: