Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Three R's

I bet you thought I was talking about Reading 'Riting and 'Rithmetic huh?? Although those are probably the original three r's the ones I am talking about tonight is reduce reuse recycle. Anyone that knows me well knows I am big on environmental issues, I separate my garbage, I don't throw something away if I can change something into something else etc.

The reason why I am talking about this is if you read my last post you know we had an unexpected monetary expenditure with our car last week of a thousand dollars when the head gasket blew...(whatever that is)..and then the next day I got pulled over for this magical suspicion of a DUI and have since had the costs of 2 tows, ICBC inspection, mechanic's bill, a new windshield, new brakes, new plates etc..all 2 weeks before Christmas and it has depleted our Christmas fund..for this year and probably next's year. We are very adamant to not use our credit cards either so have been thinking of what to do.

I usually do sewing and other homemade gifts for extra gifts but still bought the bulk of gifts but this year our daughter and I are on a mission :) We are on the search for perfect gifts from second hand stores which I love to shop in. A lot of times we find items that still have new tags on but for whatever reason people no longer wanted/needed them. I mean when you think of antique furniture it's used and people pay big bucks for them so why would this different. I love buying clothes from there for myself. I started doing that when I was losing all my weight as I couldn't be bothered paying a lot of money for something I would only wear a couple of times..by the time I lost all my weight I had been hooked on searching for really good quality stuff. I collect a certain kind of crystal and have bought many pieces over the years at a fraction of the cost at yard sales or second hand sales.

So this Christmas that is what we are doing. Reduce Reuse and Recycling. And if anyone is thinking ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..well too bad...I hear coal is making a comeback for stocking stuffers :)

0 comments: