Monday, December 31, 2007

2007 in Retrospect

December 31st. Where on earth has this year gone? I am still looking for my summer and here it is, end of the year. It has been a very busy year.. lots of roller coaster rides, literally and figuratively. There have been moments of joy and moments of great sadness. Our daughter had 2 miscarriages and our son in law very nearly lost his life. It was a very hair raising experience.

Our one son and his wife bought their first home in Lethbridge Alberta and we got to go visit them just shortly after they moved. One of our other sons and his family have moved to a new house only a 10 minute walk from our house. I started watching their 3 year old daughter in September and that has been a wonderful blessing! Our oldest son has a new love in his life and we are so thrilled for him! No one deserves to be alone so much. We got to go to Whistler with our daughter's family for an extended long weekend in May and of course everyone knows that is about my favorite place in the world!

We had a family camp this summer! We took our 3 year old granddaughter with us for the first time for the whole week and she was just thrilled as she and her cousin pushed their dollies around in their strollers all day long in the sand dunes (well sand dunes to little arms trying to push plastic wheeled strollers).

Our son Kim and his family came out in August for a week for a family wedding so got to spend some time with them and the grandchildren and that is always a good thing.We had Thanksgiving dinner at our youngest son's home this year for the first time. He was very excited to host his first official family dinner with most of the family there. It was weird though to sit there and not have done any cooking!

I got a new calling in November.. Director of the Stake Family History Centre. Completely took me off guard! I don't know what surprised me the most.. that someone thought I was that capable of doing the job or that I had said yes to it! But I love family history. I am very passionate about it and anything that helps me do that can only be deemed a bonus!

We just came back from 8 days of Christmas vacation in Alberta and that was very wonderful! We have only been there once before for Christmas and again that was weird being on the receiving end of a dinner that someone else labored so lovingly over. I was a 2 year old granddaughter's only thing on her Christmas wish list and how much more perfect of a life is that?

I got to spend a couple of weeks with my mom at her home this summer. What a treat that was! I have never done that. Being alone with her I mean. I have always at least had Keith with me or the kids etc. It was just mother and child/woman to woman/friend to friend and I left there a better person for it.

What have I learned over the past year? That nothing and I mean NOTHING can take the place of family. Although ours can be a tad dysfunctional at times (and I say that quite lovingly of course) we are a strong family. Nothing comes between any of us. We are there for each other in time of need no matter what that need is.

I have learned my faith is stronger then ever. My faith in God. My faith in mankind. My faith in others doing the right thing for the right reason. My spirituality has grown and that is a wonderful thing. My life has been richly blessed being able to share it with Keith by my side. I could not in a million years have found a better soul mate, a help mate, then he. He has unconditional loved me literally through thick and thin as I have struggled with my health and pain.

I have learned that if you have love in your life you can overcome all obstacles and mountains that can seem to be unsurmountable at times. I believe that God has a greater power then I do and that I need to turn my life to Him. When my dad was alive and going to AA I had done a needlepoint for him that had the Serenity Prayer on it and I still to this day believe in it!!

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him forever in the next.


What do I want in my life this coming year? Sleepovers with my grandchildren; hugs from my children; I love you's from my family and friends; more time with my brothers; visits out here from ANYBODY in our extended family; walks with my daughter; phone calls that are for no reason other then just because; closer relationships with my daughters/son in laws; continued friendships with my "almost sisters"; to finish my history book on my father's family line and lastly I wish for a peaceful year in our family, a year of renewed love with God for all our children and to be able to do it all with Keith, my children and grandchildren by my side with their love and arms around me.

Happy New Year Everyone!

1 comments:

Carmen said...

Happy New Year to you my wonderful friend!! HUGS