Friday, April 11, 2008

When I said I do

I have had a friend over from Saskatchewan visiting here for last couple of weeks. We have been friends for 26 years. It was an instant bond between us. She made a comment the other day that Keith was going to have a hard time when I got better as he wouldn't have anything to do. I asked her what she meant as it didn't make any sense to me and she said "because he has been getting your food, helping you shower and get dressed and taking care of you since you got home from the hospital". I smiled at her and told her it was obvious she hadn't been around for a long time as Keith has been like that for many years. But she just remembers him as "The Wild Man" and had a hard time seeing this new and improved version. I told her that when Keith and I met I don't know if it was the Spirit that told me, my instincts, or what it was but I was the only one that seemed to be able to see what was so deeply hidden beneath layers of protective brick wall.

But her comment made me think if I take him for granted so when he came home from work that day I talked to him about it and he said no he never once thought I was taking advantage of him and it was all part of the package. I said what package. He said the "for better or worse package". We accepted that part when we got married just that you took on more then you bargained for when you had to take me when I was wild and had 3 small boys. He continued on by saying that what kind of man would he be now these last couple of years if he bailed on me when it was my turn in the "worse part" of our vows?

Of course I had to cry and hug him as hard as my chest would allow me to. I am going to attempt to add a video to this post but if for some reason it doesn't work please check out the link and click on the song "When I said I do" and please take the time to listen to it if you wish. It is from Clint Black and his wife Lisa Hartman and there is a line in there that says even with everything around them going on that only they could undo what they had built together. I thought how true that is. So many times in life in marriages people say that such and such broke them up, loss of job, infedility, kids, etc but when it is all said and done, the only thing that can undo what a couple builds together is themselves.

I am so thankful I have a husband who has taken care of his end of the vows and believes in them. I am so blessed to have a husband who loves me unconditionally even when he is holding my head out of the puke bucket. He thinks I am the most beautiful woman he has ever known and tells me that every day. I am sure I would still be able to deal with this whole mess this past 6 months but I thank my Father in Heaven every single day that I have such a strong and loving man by my side to help me through this. I truly believe with every heat of my heart that when he said I do he meant it.

http://apps.facebook.com/qloud_app/index.php?page=my_library

1 comments:

Mary Siever said...

Mum

What a beautiful post and a tribute to Dad. I see where Kim gets his attitude from and he had a good teacher.